Thursday, March 31, 2011

World Cat

I did miss this lesson the first time through.
I started by looking up books on dogs  in juvenile boys' literature.  I found the Diary of the Wimpy Kid,.  I also found a cute book about April Fools.  I looked through to see what library had it.  I plan to order the book through the library.  Next, I looked up a book with the title, Sounder.  There are 3,634 libraries that have the book.  Alexander Mitchell Library from Aberdeen came at the top of the list for me.  The Class Description for Sounder is 813/.54.
I looked to see other books written by the author.  I found A Reading Guide Through Troubled Waters, Reading Sounder, and a sound recording of William H. Armstrong.  I checked to see how many libraries had the sound recording, and there were only 4.  It is a cassette, so that would explain why few have it.
Next, I checked the OAIster list of records, and I typed in "South Dakota."  58 records were found for SD.  I looked at the Heart of the Badlands, A Homesteader and his Church Building, and A Farmer's Homestead.
I was interested to see that some of them are very old and have scanned photos from long ago.  I looked through the Table of Contents of the Farmer's Homestead to see what would be available to see without ordering thee information.  They only show the one picture of the farmer's log cabin.  The Table of Contents looks interesting, though, and I think it would be a great book to look through for research on early settlers' homes in the Dakotas. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, lovetoread, thanks for your comments. You made some good finds! I was unable to duplicate your "Farmer's Homestead" search in OAIster, as I was curious about the Table of Contents you reference, since OAIster is pretty much full-text or full image accessible. I did find a photo called "Farmers Home" in Western SD, and I am glad I do not live there! :) Remember OAIster for research materials and WorldCat for finding books.

    ReplyDelete