Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ancestry Archive Library lesson

I was able to find my grandparents and parents in the census collection using this database.  I was unable to find my own marriage license, however.  I tried my maiden name and also my married name.  I was able to find information on my husband's family, too.  I tried to read about some of the families that would be connected to my students, but I wasn't able to find any.  I am assuming it is because I am missing some information that would help get me to the place.  I am going to have my students try it and fill in the information that they know.  If they can't remember it all, they can ask their parents, and we can try it again.

I was puzzled by the fact that I couldn't find my Dad's military record since he was a captain in the U.S. Army in World War II.  I think that I didn't quite get all of the correct information typed in, so the information would not show for me.  I plan to try again to see what I can find. 

It was quite amazing to see all of the handwritten work the people did during the early years to record all of the people in each area.  What a huge task!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, a huge task, indeed, lovetoread! Aren't we thankful for computers? You won't find WWII military records yet, except for those interred overseas. You will find: WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917-18; Civil War Collection, & World War II and Korean Conflict Veterans Interred Overseas. You do have to know a little something in order to get good results and it takes perseverance. Still, it is an amazing resource! Have fun and thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete