Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sanborn maps and Heritage Quest

I checked through the Heritage Quest Census for my grandparents, and none of their names came up in SD or IA.  I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong, so I typed in George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.  I found information on both of them, so then I knew I was doing the search right.  Next, I checked out Samuel Clemens from Missouri.  I found information on him.  Next, I decided to try my husband's grandfather's family name.  I found information on him!  So I saved a copy to my file to show to my husband. 

I checked through the Sanborn maps.  Tyndall, SD was the closest town to my hometown.  I found the Tyndall Presbyterian Church which I know is still there today.  I also checked out the courthouse at Parker, SD, and found it on three different maps showing how the size of the building increased over the years.  It stayed in the same location.  It would have been fun if I could have looked at maps from my home town of Springfield, SD.  It is a little easier to know where historic buildings are if it is in a person's hometown.

1 comment:

  1. You made some great finds, here, lovetoread! Searching for famous people sounds like a fun social studies or language arts assignment. :) Hope your husband is impressed with your sleuthing. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete