Saturday, March 19, 2011

Archive Library lesson

I went to the school and worked on the Archive Library site.  It is an amazing resource. 
I looked at some of the information on Sitting Bull.  I was mostly interested in looking at the texts and abstracts available online in children's literature.  I saw book titles that I have not seen before.  I am familiar with the more common ones, but these looked more interesting for my students since they are quite familiar with the common stories about Sitting Bull.
I checked out other children's stories about George Washington, stories about communism, and American history.  I didn't quite understand at first what they meant when they said "full text PDF."  I thought that meant you could view the book online and read parts of it.  Instead, you get an excerpt from the School Library Journal that gives a review about the book.  The review and short description of the book are very helpful and would certainly help a person make a good decision about whether a particular book is fitting for the child or lesson that the book was needed for. 
It is a great site.  I think it would be the most useful for a person who was not sure of what he/she were looking for, and also for research when the person has to be sure the information is at the level of reading that it needs to be.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, lovetoread! You found a very interesting application for ArchiveGrid that I had not thought of before! Thanks for the idea and the comments!

    ReplyDelete