Friday, February 27, 2015

Lesson 5

The first assignment was to look for literary criticism on the novel Les Miserable.  I followed the instruction to click on full text, then document type, then subject limiters.  I looked to the right sidebar to get the literary criticism about the novel.  There were 334 results.  There were 314 Scholarly Journal articles, 13 magazine articles, and 7 trade journals.

I looked for information on the ways libraries aided their communities during and after Hurricane Sandy.  The first article I found was by Gordon Flagg on American Libraries.  The article was from August 2006.  The libraries were  commended for their tireless efforts in helping people with gathering information and providing internet services and other library services when other community businesses were shut down.

Next I limited my search and went to the Pro Quest in Science and Technology.  I found three articles that told about the work the libraries in the Hurricane Sandy areas had done during the time of disaster.  The most recent article I found was in Young Library Services, "Learn to Code, It's a Life Skill," written by Jessica Klein, Winter 2014: 25-27.

1 comment:

  1. Great use of the limiters in Proquest--I'm always amazed at how much one can fine tune the results by using them.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete