Thursday, March 19, 2015

lesson 8 World Cat

For the first part of the lesson I had to use World Cat to find a juvenile level non-fiction book about Martin Luther.  I tried the typical route of just typing in his name, nothing was available, so I tried connecting "personal name" with Martin Luther, limiting phrase of geographical location Germany, limited to English.  I went back and forth several times, followed the help suggestions, looked at the various ways to find a book about Martin Luther, and finally decided that there is one main book about the life of Martin Luther entitled Here I Stand by Roland H. Bainton.  The book is written in German and in English.  It is definitely a resource book for younger readers.  I would say most of them would not read a 400 page book.  The topics that worked to find this book were: name, biography, Germany.  The library closest to the Mobridge, SD area that has this book is the Rapid City Public Library.

The next section was to look through the classic graphic novels and pick one to add to our local library as a suggestion.  I would choose Tom Sawyer by Tim Mucci, Rad Sechrist, Mark Twain.  I like the cover illustration because it fits the character of Tom Sawyer.  The book is also written in Spanish if a library did need some classic graphic novels for Spanish speaking children.  Tom Sawyer is a fictional character that both boys and girls like to read and imagine being his friend during his adventures.  The pictures would make the story even more enjoyable.
The nearest library that has the book is the Laramie County System Library in Laramie, Wyoming.
There are 339 libraries in the world with this book.  If a person wants the Spanish version, there are only 4 copies available worldwide.

The next assignment of this lesson was to find the vocal score for "My fair lady."  I had to do some searching to find the right words to search to find what I wanted.  The title had to be "My fair lady,"
the keyword had to be "vocal score."  It wasn't helpful to add in the author's name because the search was too refined and the right item did not show.  I tried musical composition, musical recording, several words, but I was finally able to get the right set of words to get what I wanted.

The newest one I found was printed in 1969, entitled "My fair lady" by Frederick Loewe, Alan Jay Lerne, Bernard Shaw, with the printing of 1969 and 1956.  This one has the vocal score with piano.  The accession number is 26429906.

I found another "My fair lady" printed in 1956 with vocal score excerpts.  The accession number for that one is 22601829.

The one I like best has the same title, but it is for voice and piano and has chord symbols, and ukulele chord diagrams.  It was printed in 1956 in New York by Chappelle and Company.  The accession number for this one is 2052359.

I do not have a school in the town where I live and the library we have is a small community library.
I am not able to get the CAMIO program to work for me.  I have tried the advanced search and different ways to search, but I get no page to come or it says "page not available."

I decided to look for this information under "World Cat" to see what I could find.  I found by typing in "dress" and the years 1837-1901, several books with the clothing worn during those years in England.  One book was the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Costume and Fashion from 1066 to the present by Jack Cassin Scott, printed by Studio Vista in London, 1994.  This book shows the styles of clothing worn by during the time period of the Norman Conquest of Britain.

The other book I found that looked very helpful was the Historical Encyclopedia of Costume by A. Racinet.  It is a 6 volume set, printed in New York, 1988, and this set includes 19th Century Europe, 1876-1888.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all your work in WorldCat--I love advance searching in WorldCat.

    For your Martin Luther search, the subtype limits in advance search allow one to limit to juvenile and nonfiction. I did a pretty basic search for Martin Luther as a keyword and then used the not option (instead of and) with King as a keyword. I was able to find a 95 page book titled Martin Luther

    CAMIO is only available inside a library--can you tell me where you were accessing?

    Thanks for your work,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete