Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Lesson 7 ebooks on Ebscohost

I decided to take the subject of "South Dakota" for my search on Ebscohost.  I typed in "South Dakota," then clicked "advanced search." I found 12 books. I decided to look at the relevant pagaes and the table of contents pages instead of downloading the whole book.  I read through the relevant pages of these books: Nothing but Prairie and Sky:  Life on the Dakota Range in the Early Days by Bruce Sibert and Wyman Walker Demarquis;The Story of a Negro Pioneer by Oscar Micheaux, 1994; and Bachelor Bess, Homesteading Letters of Elizabeth Corey, 1909-1919.  I read several of the relevant pages in each book plus additional pages since I could just read on if I wished from the section I had taken.  I found that to be similar to what I would do if I had the book in my hands in a library.

Next, I chose to try to find some books on country schools in South Dakota.  I tried to find a book on the first school in Bon Homme County, but I was not successful.  I then used "smart text" and found the book America's Country Schools by Andrew Gulliford, 1996.  I was able to read about country schools in South Dakota in that book.

The next search I did used "smart text" again because no books came up just using the "advanced search."  I searched South Dakota and Missouri River.  One book was shown:  Five Indian Tribes of the Upper Missouri:  Sioux, Arickaras, Assiniboines, Crees, Crows by Edwin Thompson Denig, 1961.  I definitely like the search option of relevant pages and the table of contents so a person can scan to see if the book has the information that the reader wants.

The second part of the lesson was to look for fairy tales that used colored paper for covers.  I found them by typing in "fairy tales" in the search, then scrolling down to "fairy tales and children."
The books that were listed were the Violet book and the Yellow book.  The stories were written by Andrew Lang.  I read the preface of the Yellow book and found that they wrote about the Blue, the Green, and the Yellow book.  I found it interesting to read that the president of the Folk Lore Society did not like the fact that the books were published in red, green, and blue, but the Editor and Mr. Jacobs who did the publishing decided that there was no harm in doing so and printed more books as well.  They started a new idea!  Now we have all sorts of colors in our books!

1 comment:

  1. Great finds in Ebooks on Ebsco! I too like the relevant pages option in Ebooks on Ebsco. Definitely a useful feature.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete