Saturday, January 31, 2015

Lesson 1a World Book for Kids Lesson 1b, Lesson 1c

First of all I checked the Science Projects section.  I enjoyed looking over the projects and found some simple projects for younger students using worms.  The hydrofoil experiment was an easy project.
The second place I checked was the Games and Activities.  I tried the mazes, the tic tac toe games, and the math activities that involved coloring.  I tried different levels to see how difficult each level was.
I tried the flag matching activity.  I found that to be challenging.  I think the students would enjoy giving that a try as an activity that they don't spend a lot of time studying on a regular basis.

For the lesson 1b, I checked out the section, "Behind the Headlines."  I read through articles on animals, weather, space, and historic celebrations.  I also tried the Current Events game for several weeks.  I discovered that I needed to do more careful reading before I take the quizzes.  All of these articles would be very helpful to teach critical thinking for older students, plus provide up to date information for them on a variety of topics.  A student could choose an area of interest, read a certain number of articles and summarize them.  Following that activity the student could try the current event quiz and see how well they comprehended what they read.  The articles are quite easy to read and are interesting to read as well.

For the lesson 1c I checked the Advanced World Book section.  First of all, I looked through the story list of Hans Christian Anderson.  I decided to read through the Ugly Duckling.  After reading the story, I checked the notes and articles related to the author.  I didn't find a great deal of material that was as helpful as I expected, but I did find historical notes.
Next, I looked at the story of Huckleberry Finn.  I checked out the historical notes, the articles that could be found about Mark Twain and other available information.  I found this story to have some very interesting articles linked to the author and the story.  I especially enjoyed the news story of Mark Twain's visit with Helen Keller.  I would think it would be quite an experience to tell a story with a person touching your lips to follow the story and the teller's expressions.  The story was very interesting.  It would be particularly helpful to use after students did a study of Helen Keller and watched the movie of her and her teacher Anne Sullivan," The Miracle Worker."
I also think I would use the feature of having the story read aloud to the students.  I would encourage each student to sign in to the story and listen to it personally and then read the articles of interest that the teacher assigns and one that the student has chooses.  Students enjoy some illustrations when they read, so since there are no illustrations, it would be helpful to have them listen to the story to help hold their interest.

For the next lesson on World Book Discover, I checked out the World Book videos.  They were interesting and would help a student find a topic of interest.  The section on how to do a research project is definitely very helpful.  I would definitely put each student to work on an individual computer and have them work through this whole section.  Too often students do not understand the differences between primary and secondary resources.  They do not know how to cite and they do not what to take the time to gather all of the information.  World Book Discover has all of the information in one site.  I think students would enjoy making their own podcast, too.  Making a podcast would be a good addition to their written research paper because it would help them realize what they understood about their research.

6 comments:

  1. Great discoveries this week! The activity you describe for the Behind the Headlines sounds great. I also really like your idea to use the "How To Do Research" section in World Book Discover with students to help them prepare for research projects.

    Thanks for your work this week,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking through the World Book activities. It is an excellent resource.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesson 2
    I think the person could fix their steering wheel by watching the videos and reading the fact sheets. Since I am not a mechanic, I would print everything and have it right beside me so I would not make a mistake. I would be concerned about the air bag deploying, but the explanation is complete, and if directions are followed, the person should not have a problem. I thought it was great.
    The part number for the 1989 Geo Prizm is A131L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesson 2: the Mango lesson
    I would show the student how to connect to the main library site, make sure the person had a library card number and knew their password. I would then help them find Greek or Hebrew and go through a lesson with them. I did Lesson 1 in the Greek. It was very well done, and it makes me think that it would be a fun challenge to learn a different language for my own information and experience. It would certainly be a helpful aide for a student who has other homework to do as well, and their time to practice a new language is limited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesson 2, Tumblebook exercise
    First of all, I would show them how to sign in to the library site along with their password, go to online resources listing to find the Tumblebook site.
    After that, I would show him how to click the word "Mysteries," and then go to the Junior site and have pick the listings he would like to go through. I would suggest the 40 periodic references for a starting point, then go back and check the others. He should be able to find a book he has not read. He can also check further when he is reading these references to see if the book is appropriate for his age level and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the third part of lesson 2 the assignment was to look through the information on the Info Trac Student Edition to find information to use for a STEM lesson. I started by searching all sources in the Junior edition section for science activities for kids. I found lists of blogs from parents who have written experiments of all kinds, but you have to register with some of them to view the complete experiment. Their illustrations are helpful enough, so if a person wants to work from that, it would be possible. I also read through some magazine articles that gave science experiments. To find e books for younger students, I went back to the Student Edition and typed in ebooks, subject science. I found the Starwalk books which I thought looked good, but too difficult for some, so I tried again and found an older listing of an article (updated to 2014) from Instructor magazine which I thought best fit the assignment. The book is called Science by the Book. It pairs interesting children's books with experiments. One example is Toy Boat. The adult would read the story, talk about the parts of the boat, and then have the students make their own boat and make it float, and test the boat by putting pennies into the boat to see if the boat will still float.
    Another book is Now and Ben. The book talks about Benjamin Franklin's attitude of problem solving by inventing. After the book is read, the students have to think of problems they want to solve and plan out an invention with a small group, and present their ideas to the group.
    I thought this was the best suggestion because the titles of the books are given and the ideas for the experiments are also given.

    ReplyDelete