Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Lesson 10 for Library course, Electronic Challenge

My biggest discovery of this class has been the use of the Chilton Library, number one because my husband and I have just gotten into looking up videos for how to repair different things.  I thought it was great to see all of the available parts, repair videos included with the Chilton Library.  We plan to use it to fix the sliding door on our old van.  We have the parts, but our service man is so busy that we have decided to use helpful videos and see if we can do it ourselves.

I also discovered by reading about my family's history on Heritage Quest that my family's name long ago and my father's namesake Ode Odens was not actually that, but rather, Ole Olens.  It seems to me that the people who were recording his name when he immigrated did not understand his name quite clearly, so they wrote Ode instead of Ole, and Odens, instead of Olens.  I can understand how it happened, accents were hard to understand.  This information is helpful to me to be able to follow the genealogy farther back because I know about the name change now.  I plan to do more reading on this site.

I also found some interesting information about a family in Pollock for whom I am presently typing a family history book.. They have been looking for some missing links also, and I think I may have found some pictures that they would like to see.  The family history is also very interesting to me, and I think they will enjoy reading it too.  I plan to show the author of the book how to use this library site.  He has a SD library card, so I will show him how to use this site.

I will also make use of the World Cat site more commonly after spending time using it.

I enjoyed Ancestry.com and will use it the next time I am in a community library that has the connection for that site.  It gives me some options of how to use the community library.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Super discoveries during the Challenge. Interesting finds in the genealogy resources. Tracking family history when the name is changed is tricky. Thank you for your work on the Challenge!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete